The Somersby School of Arts is located at the Somersby School of Arts Hall, which was constructed in 1947, however the School of Arts itself was formed circa 1894 (the original building being destroyed in a bushfire
in 1944). It has served the surrounding farming community now for 120 years.
The School of Arts Hall and precinct were given to the community by local farmer
Arthur Rutherford (Jack) Studds, who also made available land for
Somersby Public School which adjoins, in 1926.
The Somersby School of Arts is an incorporated not-for-profit association staffed by volunteers.
The Hall, located at 830 Wisemans Ferry Road, is available for a range of community activities, and is also the venue for the Mountain Districts Culture and Heritage Centre.
The Hall and precinct also function as a locus for contemporary art exhibitions and cultural events at the leading edge of current practice, including those that celebrate local heritage and culture.
School of Arts Executive
and Committee 2016-17
President: Neil Berecry-Brown
Vice President: Peter Medlicott
Secretary/Treasurer: Jieon Berecry-Brown
Committee Members: Robyn Studds, Dianne Brady
The Somersby School of Arts was incorporated with objectives of managing and developing a School of Arts together with fostering an appreciation of the district’s history, heritage and environment. In addition to providing social, educational and cultural activities, it also advocates for Somersby and the Mountain Districts of the Central Coast of NSW.
The School of Arts adjoins a Crown Land Reserve established in 1893 for Trigonometry.
The original Trig Station, and the replacement, has been an important place for family picnics (before it became overgrown) and school and scouting excursions.
Vegetation on the Reserve is important as an isolated example of the endangered Duffys Forest ecological community.